Click on the appropriate tab below to see the Renewal Requirements, Process, Fees and Continuing Education (CE) for a Licensed Practical Nurse.
Licensed Practical Nurses are renewed by the department; current licenses will expire at midnight, Eastern Time, on July 31, 2015.
The department will renew your license upon receipt of:
- Completed renewal application
- Required renewal fees
If you are a member of the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty who was in good standing with the board at the time of becoming active and was entitled to practice or engage in the practice of medicine in Florida, you may be eligible to be exempted from renewal requirements for the duration of active duty, and for a period of six months after discharge, but not practicing the profession in the private sector for profit.
If you are the spouse of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States, you may be eligible to be exempted from licensure renewal requirements, but only in cases of absence from the state because your spouses’ duties with the Armed Forces.
Volunteer Health Services Exemption
If you volunteer your services to the medically indigent residents of Florida with incomes at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level, you may be eligible for a waiver of your biennial renewal fee and some of the continuing education hours (no more than 25%) required for license renewal; however, the continuing education requirements for domestic violence, HIV and AIDS, and medical errors cannot be waived.
- Click the “Renew Online” Button.
- Enter your user name and password.Please note your user ID and password were mailed with your physical license. If you are having trouble accessing your account, please try the alternate login process, located at the bottom of the login screen. If you require further assistance, please contact the MQA Communication Center at 850-488-0595.
- Click “Renew License” from the column on the left hand side of the page.
You may RENEW ONLINE if:
- You do not need to change the status of your license.
- You have a credit card/debit card to complete the transaction.
- Your license status is not ‘Military, Active’.
- If you are renewing your license after the expiration date and your status still indicates ‘Clear/Active’ or ‘Clear/Inactive’, you will be assessed a delinquency fee. The delinquency fee will be in addition to your renewal fees.
- If your license was ‘Delinquent, Active’ or ‘Delinquent, Inactive’ before the renewal deadline, it will be moved to ‘Null and Void’ status after the renewal deadline and you should contact your Board office for instruction.
You must RENEW BY MAIL if:
- You need to change the status of your license.
- You need to pay using a cashiers check or money order.
- You do NOT have a credit card/debit card to complete the transaction.
- You need to request a name change
- Your license is in ‘Military, Active’ status.
The process of renewing a license may take two to three weeks. Initiating contact to confirm the receipt of fees or the status of your license prior to this time will not expedite the renewal process.
A licensee who remains on inactive status for more than two consecutive biennial licensure cycles and who wishes to reactivate the license may be required to demonstrate the competency to resume active practice by sitting for a special purpose examination or by completing other reactivation requirements.
If you are reactivating your license, please refer to the Laws & Rules governing your practice for additional requirements.
Note: Do not submit certificates of completion of in-service hours to the Florida Board of Nursing. Please maintain records of attendance for 4 years for auditing purposes.
Name changes require legal documentation showing the name change. Please submit a request including your full name as it appears on your license, profession, license number, your new name, your date of birth, the last four digits of your social security number, and your signature. Attach supporting documents, which must be one of the following:
- a copy of a state issued marriage license that includes the original signature and seal from the clerk of the court
- a divorce decree showing the name change
- a court order showing the name change (Adoption, legal name change, federal identity change)
Any one of these will be accepted unless the department has a question about the authenticity of the document.
Please Note: The last four digits of the SSN are requested as required by DOH Policy Number DOHP 385-LS05-12 Name Changes for Existing Licensees, which was established for security purposes due to past instances of fraudulent activity.
Mail your $25.00 payment and request to:
Division of Medical Quality Assurance
P.O. Box 6320
Tallahassee, FL 32314-6320
If you need to change your name, and you prefer to renew online, please submit your name change request by mail and allow 5-7 business days processing time before you renew online.
If renewing BEFORE your license expires, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$80.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$65.00|
|Active to Inactive||$65.00|
|Inactive to Active||$135.00|
|Active to Retired||$55.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$55.00|
If renewing AFTER your license expires, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$135.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$120.00|
|Active to Inactive||$175.00|
|Inactive to Active||$245.00|
|Active to Retired||$165.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$165.00|
If renewing 120 day Notified Delinquent, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$225.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$185.00|
|Active to Inactive||$185.00|
|Inactive to Active||$280.00|
|Active to Retired||$200.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$175.00|
Continuing Education (CE/CEU) Requirements
All courses can be live or home study.
|Required Subject Area||Required Number of Hours||Important Information|
|General Hours||22||Must be approved by a state or national organization
empowered to accredit nursing continuing education.
|Medical Error||2||Must be board approved. Approved courses are listed at cebroker.com.|
|Florida Laws & Rule (New Requirement in 2015)||–||Must be board approved. Approved courses are listed at cebroker.com. Florida Laws and Rules will be due beginning with the biennium expiring 2015. The biennium in which the Florida Laws and Rules course is due your general hours will total 20 (licensees expiring in 2014 are not required to complete the Florida laws and rules until their 2016 renewal).|
|Domestic Violence||2||Must be board approved. Approved courses are listed at cebroker.com. Domestic Violence is required every third biennium and the hours are in addition to the 24 hours required for renewal.|
|HIV/AIDS||1||Must be board approved. Approved courses are listed at cebroker.com. HIV/AIDS is a one-time requirement prior to the first renewal.|
First Biennium Renewal: LPNs initially licensed by examination during the current biennium are exempt from the general CEU requirements for the first renewal. Those licensees must complete 2 hours of medical error, 2 hours in Florida laws and rules and 1 hour of HIV/AIDS.
LPNs initially licensed by endorsement during the current biennium and took the exam in another state within the biennium are exempt from general CEU hours. Those licensees must complete 2 hours of medical error, 2 hours in Florida laws and rules and 1 hour of HIV/AIDS.
LPNs that do not qualify for the exemption in their first renewal must complete 1 hour for per month or partial month remaining in the biennium from the date the license was issued. These hours must include 2 hours of medical error, 2 hours in Florida laws and rules and 1 hour of HIV/AIDS.
Board Rule Approved Providers
- Florida Board approved courses for Nurses can be found at www.cebroker.com. All offerings shall be at least 60 minutes in length, or 1 contact hour. Increments of 30 minutes will be accepted when the offering extends beyond the one contact hour.
- Licensees may also be awarded credit for attendance at offerings that are approved by a state or national organization empowered to accredit nursing continuing education.
Other Methods of Obtaining Continuing Education per Biennium
- Presenting continuing education as a lecturer or an author
- Serving as an expert witness
- Board Member serving on a Probable Cause Panel of the Board of Nursing
- Completion of credit courses in Nursing at an accredited institution of higher learning
Participants of the volunteer school nurse program or the volunteer health care provider program
- Continuing education is awarded for ACLS/PALS/NRP certification and instructor courses only. Continuing education is not awarded for recertification or BLS courses.