HB 501 (2019), created section 295.156, Florida Statutes, allowing alternative treatment options for veterans starting July 1, 2019.
The Department of Veterans’ Affairs may contract with a state university or Florida College System institution to provide any of the following alternative treatments:
- Accelerated resolution therapy
- Equine therapy
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy, which must be provided at a registered hyperbaric oxygen facility
- Music therapy
- Service animal training therapy
Veterans qualify for the above treatments if he or she:
(1) Has been diagnosed by a health care practitioner* with service-connected posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or a service-connected traumatic brain injury.
(2) Voluntarily agrees to such alternative treatment; and
(3) Can demonstrate he or she has previously sought services for PTSD or a traumatic brain injury through the federal Veteran Affairs service delivery system OR through private health insurance, if available.