Click on the appropriate tab below to see the Renewal Requirements, Process, Fees and In-Service Training Requirements for a Certified Nursing Assistant.
Certified Nursing Assistants are renewed by the department in two groups:
Group 1 – current license will expire at midnight, Eastern Time, May 31, 2015. Licenses that expired December 31, 2012 will go null and void on January 01, 2015 if not renewed.
Group 2 -current licenses will expire at midnight, Eastern Time, May 31, 2016. Licenses that expired December 31, 2013 will go null and void on January 01, 2016 if not renewed.
In order to renew the CNA license at the end of the two year renewal cycle, CNAs are required to perform nursing-related services for monetary compensation within the last 24 consecutive months in order to remain on the registry.
Licensees who fail to meet these requirements must reapply for licensure and comply with current laws and rules. Licensees who have become Null and Void or elected to Voluntary Relinquish their CNA license, must reapply for licensure and meet current requirements.
- Click the “Renew Online” Button.
- Enter your user name and password.Please note your user ID and password were mailed with your physical license. If you are having trouble accessing your account, please try the alternate login process, located at the bottom of the login screen. If you require further assistance, please contact the MQA Communication Center at 850-488-0595.
- Click “Renew License” from the column on the left hand side of the page.
You may RENEW ONLINE if:
- You do not need to change the status of your license.
- You have a credit card/debit card to complete the transaction.
- Your license status is not ‘Military, Active’.
- If you are renewing your license after the expiration date and your status still indicates ‘Clear/Active’ or ‘Clear/Inactive’, you will be assessed a delinquency fee. The delinquency fee will be in addition to your renewal fees.
- If your license was ‘Delinquent, Active’ or ‘Delinquent, Inactive’ before the renewal deadline, it will be moved to ‘Null and Void’ status after the renewal deadline and you should contact your Board office for instruction.
You must RENEW BY MAIL if:
- You need to change the status of your license.
- You need to pay using a cashiers check or money order.
- You do NOT have a credit card/debit card to complete the transaction.
- You need to request a name change
- Your license is in ‘Military, Active’ status.
The process of renewing a license may take two to three weeks. Initiating contact to confirm the receipt of fees or the status of your license prior to this time will not expedite the renewal process.
Note: Do not submit certificates of completion of in-service hours to the Florida Board of Nursing. Please maintain records of attendance for 4 years for auditing purposes.
Name changes require legal documentation showing the name change. Please submit a request including your full name as it appears on your license, profession, license number, your new name, your date of birth, the last four digits of your social security number, and your signature. Attach supporting documents, which must be one of the following:
- a copy of a state issued marriage license that includes the original signature and seal from the clerk of the court
- a divorce decree showing the name change
- a court order showing the name change (Adoption, legal name change, federal identity change)
Any one of these will be accepted unless the department has a question about the authenticity of the document.
Please Note: The last four digits of the SSN are requested as required by DOH Policy Number DOHP 385-LS05-12 Name Changes for Existing Licensees, which was established for security purposes due to past instances of fraudulent activity.
Mail your $25.00 payment and request to:
Division of Medical Quality Assurance
P.O. Box 6320
Tallahassee, FL 32314-6320
If you need to change your name, and you prefer to renew online, please submit your name change request by mail and allow 5-7 business days processing time before you renew online.
If renewing BEFORE your license expires, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$55.00*|
If renewing AFTER your license expires, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$105.00 for those expired 05/31/2015|
|Active to Active||$115.00* for those expired 12/31/2013|
If renewing 120 day Notified Delinquent, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$170.00*|
*CNA’s Biennial Renewal Expiration date has been moved from December 31 to May 31. The pro-rated fee for the additional 5 months you will be licensed is included in your delinquent renewal fee. After you have been issued a May 31 expiration date you will be placed back on a two year renewal cycle.
All CNAs must complete a minimum of 12 hours of in-service training each calendar year. Every 2 years, in-service training hours shall include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
- Bloodborne Pathogens, Infection Control
- Domestic Violence
- Medical Record Documentation and Legal Aspects Appropriate to Nursing Assistants
- Resident Rights
- Communication with cognitively impaired clients
- CPR skills
- Medical Error Prevention and Safety