Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA) are renewed by the department in two groups:
Group 1 – current license will expire at midnight, Eastern Standard Time, May 31, 2021. Licenses that expired May 31, 2019 will go null and void on June 01, 2021 if not renewed.
Group 2 – current licenses will expire at midnight, Eastern Standard Time, May 31, 2020. Licenses that expired May 31, 2018 will go null and void on June 01, 2020 if not renewed.
In order to renew the CNA license at the end of the two year renewal cycle, CNAs are required to perform nursing-related services for monetary compensation within the last 24 consecutive months in order to remain on the registry.
Licensees who fail to meet these requirements must reapply for licensure and comply with current laws and rules. Licensees who have become Null and Void or elected to Voluntarily Relinquish their CNA license must reapply for licensure and meet current requirements.
Options for Non-Renewal of your license
- Delinquent & Null/Void – Take no action. The license will go delinquent after the expiration date and Null/Void 2 years after the expiration date. Once Null/Void, the license cannot be reactivated.
- Voluntarily Relinquish – Submit a formal request in writing to the Board for relinquishment of the license, the license number is discontinued and cannot be reactivated
- Go to www.flhealthsource.gov and click the “Renew A License” button.
- Enter your Personal Identifying Information (PII), then click the Login button.
- Confirm or update your MQA Services Account email address, then click the “Continue” button.
- You are now in the Dashboard. During renewals, a “Renew My License” option will populate no later than 90 days prior to your license expiration date. (Note: If you do not see the “Renew My License” option, please check back at a later time.)
*** If the “PII Failed” screen displays, click the “Other Login Option” button and enter your existing User ID and password to access your account.***
- You may renew online if you have a credit or debit card to complete the transaction. Please note that you can now renew online, print a copy of your application summary and mail it with your cashier’s check or money order to:
Division of Medical Quality Assurance
P.O. Box 6320
Tallahassee, FL 32314-6320
- If you are renewing your license after the expiration date and your status still indicates Clear/Active, you will be assessed a delinquency fee. The delinquency fee will be in addition to your renewal fees.
- If your license was Delinquent/Active before the renewal deadline, it will be moved to Null and Void status after the renewal deadline. You should contact your board office for further instruction.
- The process of renewing a license and receiving a printed license in the mail may take 7-10 business days. Initiating contact to confirm the receipt of fees or the status of your license prior to this time will not expedite the renewal process.
- Note: Do not submit certificates of completion of in-service hours to the Florida Board of Nursing.
If you are renewing online and need to change your name, please follow these instructions prior to renewing your license:
Name changes require legal documentation showing the name change. Please log into your MQA Online Services Portal account to submit your request and enter your full name as it appears on your legal documentation. If you are submitting your request online, please attach/upload supporting documents, which must be one of the following:
- A copy of a state issued marriage license that includes the original signature and seal from the clerk of the court
- A divorce decree showing the name change
- A court order showing the name change (Adoption, legal name change, federal identity change)
- A copy of a certificate of naturalization or H1B Employment Visa (Note: Foreign applicants and/or licensees may not have state issued documents)
Any one of these will be accepted unless the department has a question about the authenticity of the document.
NOTE: Please allow 5-7 business days for your request to be processed. If you are requesting a name change outside of renewal and wish to receive a new license reflecting the name change, you must request a duplicate license and pay the $25.00 fee.
If renewing BEFORE your license expires, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$55.00*|
If renewing AFTER your license expires, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$105.00*|
If renewing 120 day Notified Delinquent, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$160.00*|
*Pursuant to s. 456.065(3), Florida Statutes, a $5 fee to fund efforts to combat unlicensed activity will be assessed of each licensee upon initial licensure and at each renewal. This fee is included in the renewal fee.
To locate board approved CE Courses for this profession, please click here
All CNAs must complete a minimum of 24 hours of in-service training each biennium. In-service training hours shall include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
- Bloodborne Pathogens, Infection Control
- Domestic Violence
- Medical Record Documentation and Legal Aspects Appropriate to Nursing Assistants
- Resident Rights
- Communication with cognitively impaired clients
- CPR skills
- Medical Error Prevention and Safety