Autonomous Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN) are renewed by the department in three groups:
***Renewing your Autonomous Registration also renews your Advanced Practice Registered Nurse License***
Group 1 – current license will expire at midnight, Eastern Standard Time, April 30, 2022
Group 2 – current license will expire at midnight, Eastern Standard Time, July 31, 2020**
Group 3 – current license will expire at midnight, Eastern Standard Time, April 30, 2021
**Important message regarding license expiration dates: As part of the response efforts to the Novel Coronavirus 2019 (COVID- 19), State Surgeon General Dr. Scott A. Rivkees issued Emergency Order DOH No. 20-008 extending the licensure renewal expiration date until August 31, 2020 for any health care practitioner with licensure renewal deadlines between May 31, 2020 and July 31, 2020. . The license expiration date for Advanced Practice Registered Nurse expiring July 31, 2020 is extended to August 31, 2020.
The department will renew your license upon receipt of:
- Completed CE requirements – reported into CEBroker.com (see CEU tab regarding CE Exemption)
- Completed renewal application
- Required fees (see Fees tab)
- Your current primary place of practice address
- Login to verify your practitioner profile
- Complete the financial responsibility form
- Licensees who were required to be nationally certified, at the time of original licensure, must submit a copy of their current national certification
Licensees requesting to reactivate their license from inactive or retired status are required to pay additional fees and comply with specific continuing education requirements. Please contact the board office at MQA.NursingAppstatus@flhealth.gov to request your reactivation requirements.
Licensees who fail to meet these requirements must reapply for licensure and comply with current laws and rules. Licensees who have become Null and Void or elected to Voluntarily Relinquish their Autonomous Advanced Practice Registered Nurse license must reapply for licensure and meet current requirements.
- Go to www.flhealthsource.gov and click the “Renew A License” button.
- Enter your Personal Identifying Information (PII), then click the Login button.
- Confirm or update your MQA Services Account email address, then click the “Continue” button.
- You are now in the Dashboard. During renewals, a “Renew My License” option will populate no later than 90 days prior to your license expiration date. (Note: If you do not see the “Renew My License” option, please check back at a later time.)
*** If the “PII Failed” screen displays, click the “Other Login Option” button and enter your existing User ID and password to access your account.***
- You may renew online if you have a credit or debit card to complete the transaction. Please note that you can now renew online, print a copy of your application summary and mail it with your cashier’s check or money order to:
Division of Medical Quality Assurance
P.O. Box 6320
Tallahassee, FL 32314-6320
- Autonomous Advanced Practice Registered Nurse are not required to renew their Florida RN license; it is optional.
- If you are renewing your license after the expiration date and your status still indicates Clear/Active or Clear/Inactive, you will be assessed a delinquency fee. The delinquency fee will be in addition to your renewal fees.
- If your license is Delinquent/Active or Delinquent/Inactive you may still renew prior to the renewal deadline. The following actions must be taken prior to renewing your license:
- Prior to renewing your license, you must report your continuing education (CE) hours to the Department of Health’s tracking system.
- To renew a delinquent license, you will need to report your CE hours for your current cycle, as well as your previous cycle.
- If you did not complete CE courses in your last renewal cycle, you may complete them now and report them to the CE tracking system.
- To report course completion, log onto your MQA Online Account. From your dashboard, go to “Additional Activities” and select Report CE/CME.
Please note, when renewing your license, a delinquent fee will be assessed in addition to all applicable renewal fees.
- If your license was Delinquent/Active or Delinquent/Inactive before the renewal deadline, it will be moved to Null and Void status after the renewal deadline. You should contact your board office for further instruction.
- The process of renewing a license and receiving a printed license in the mail may take 7-10 business days. Initiating contact to confirm the receipt of fees or the status of your license prior to this time will not expedite the renewal process.
- A licensee who remains on inactive status for more than two consecutive biennial licensure cycles and who wishes to reactivate the license may be required to demonstrate the competency to resume active practice by sitting for a special purpose examination or by completing other reactivation requirements.
- If you are reactivating your license, please refer to the laws and rules governing your practice for additional requirements.
- Note: Do not submit certificates of completion of continuing education hours to the Florida Board of Nursing. Please report continuing education credits to the Department of Health through our CE tracking system at www.cebroker.com.
If you are renewing online and need to change your name, please follow these instructions prior to renewing your license:
Name changes require legal documentation showing the name change. Please log into your MQA Online Services Portal account to submit your request and enter your full name as it appears on your legal documentation. If you are submitting your request online, please attach/upload supporting documents, which must be one of the following:
- A copy of a state issued marriage license that includes the original signature and seal from the clerk of the court
- A divorce decree showing the name change
- A court order showing the name change (Adoption, legal name change, federal identity change)
- A copy of a certificate of naturalization or H1B Employment Visa (Note: Foreign applicants and/or licensees may not have state issued documents)
Any one of these will be accepted unless the department has a question about the authenticity of the document.
NOTE: Please allow 5-7 business days for your request to be processed. If you are requesting a name change outside of renewal and wish to receive a new license reflecting the name change, you must request a duplicate license and pay the $25.00 fee.
For Autonomous Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
Note: If you were initially licensed prior to 2013, you may see an increase of $24 in your renewal fee.
If renewing BEFORE your license expires, your fees will be:
|License Status||Renewal fee|
|Active to Active||$60.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$60.00|
|Active to Inactive||$60.00|
|Inactive to Active||$110.00|
|Active to Retired||$55.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$55.00|
If renewing AFTER your license expires, your fees will be:
|License Status||Renewal fee|
|Active to Active||$115.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$115.00|
|Active to Inactive||$165.00|
|Inactive to Active||$215.00|
|Active to Retired||$160.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$160.00|
If renewing 120 day Notified Delinquent, your fees will be:
|License Status||Renewal fee|
|Active to Active||$175.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$175.00|
|Active to Inactive||$175.00|
|Inactive to Active||$225.00|
|Active to Retired||$170.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$170.00|
- » In accordance with section 456.0391(4)(b), Florida Statutes, a $24.00 background screening fee which is equal to the amount incurred by the Department of Health for a statewide criminal history check will be included in your renewal fee. Please Note: If you were licensed after 1/1/2013 the Background Screening fee of $24.00 included in the renewal fee will not be assessed due to your livescan fingerprints being retained in the Clearinghouse. Clearinghouse fingerprint retention fees will be assessed outside of renewal prior to your retained print expiration.
- » Pursuant to section 456.065(3), Florida Statutes, a $5.00 fee to fund efforts to combat unlicensed activity will be assessed of each licensee upon initial licensure and at each renewal. This fee is included in the renewal fee.
- » Pursuant to section 1099.66(6), Florida Statutes, a $5.00 Student Loan Forgiveness fee will be assessed at renewal and is included in the renewal fee.
- » If you are currently registered to dispense medicinal drugs to your patients in the regular course of your practice, you can renew your dispensing registration by paying the additional $100.00 registration fee, along with the appropriate renewal fee indicated above.
Continuing Education (CE/CEU) Requirements
To locate board approved CE Courses for this profession, please click here
A nurse who is certified by a health care specialty program accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies or the Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification is exempt from continuing education requirements.
Please note: The CE exemption based on certification does not apply to the 3 hr Safe and Effective Prescription of Controlled Substances course requirement or the 2 hr Human Trafficking course requirement.
All courses can be live or home study.
|REQUIRED SUBJECT AREA||REQUIRED NUMBER OF HOURS||IMPORTANT INFORMATION|
|General Hours||16||Must be approved by a state or national organization empowered to accredit nursing continuing education.|
|See Additional Information Below||10||Nurse Practitioner level courses offered by a professional or national nursing specialty board listed in 64B9-4.002(2), FAC*|
|Prevention of Medical Errors||2||Must be board approved. Approved courses are listed at cebroker.com.|
|Florida Laws & Rules||2||Must be board approved. Approved courses are listed at cebroker.com.|
|Recognition of Impairment in the Workplace||2||Must be board approved. Approved courses are listed at cebroker.com. 2-hour course completion is required every other renewal.|
|Human Trafficking||2||This course does not have to be a Florida Board of Nursing approved course. The course must meet criteria outlined in S. 464.013, F.S. (Became effective October 1, 2017, licensees expiring after January 1, 2019 are required to complete the Human Trafficking course every renewal/biennium).|
|Safe and Effective Prescription of Controlled Substances||3||Must be offered by a statewide professional association of physicians in this state accredited to provide educational activities designated for the American Medical Association Physician’s Recognition Award Category 1 credit, the American Nurses Credentialing Center, the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists, or the American Association of Nurse Practitioners and may be offered in a distance learning format.|
|Domestic Violence||2||Must be board approved. Approved courses are listed at cebroker.com. Domestic Violence is required every third biennium and the hours are in addition to the 24 hours required for renewal.|
|HIV/AIDS||1||Must be board approved. Approved courses are listed at cebroker.com. HIV/AIDS is a one-time requirement prior to the first renewal.|
*Please note* – Rule 64B9-4.020(4), FAC, requires that registered Autonomous APRNs complete 10 additional hours of approved courses at the graduate level (Nurse Practitioner or continuing medical education).
First licenses are not generally valid for a full two years. If your Florida license was not issued for the full two year biennium you must complete 1 hour of CE for each month that you hold the license.